Poetic Spiriuality

Poetic Spiriuality
"Let there be light."

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Is My Mom in Heaven?

I've been having a continuing dialogue with my cousin in California. He became a Jew for Jesus many years ago, and one of his main arguments is that you can only find final salvation through Jesus. He bases this on the New Testament passage where Jesus states that he is "the way".

I have to say that I find it hard to believe that only Christians will be finding final salvation with the Lord. What about the millions of good people out there who are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhists, or even agnostics and atheists? Does my cousin really believe that none of these good people can find heaven?

I know that all true Christians believe the same thing that my cousin is always preaching. However, through my research, I've found many books written on the topic of Christian mysticism. One thing that many scholars agree on is that Jesus, like many of the rabbis or teachers of his time, was most likely a student of Kabbalah. If you look at the New Testament as a work written by a student of Kabbalah, you can see Jesus in a whole new way.

Much of what Jesus taught can easily be traced to the "hidden" lessons that were verbally shared by the Kabbalists of his time. For instance, in stating the he is the way and the light, one could also look at it as his hidden meaning being that the "secrets" that he is teaching is the true way to God or the Light rather than belief in him. When asked if he is the son of God, He answers that the Romans are putting words in his mouth. Jesus continually pointed out that we are all children of the Light.

I have a very open mind toward all religions, but I do have a problem with any religion that states that it is the ONLY way to reach God. It is this very attitude that creates the lack of love in this world. One of Jesus' basic teachings is that we must love one another - saint and sinner alike.

My mother, for instance, was a wonderful, loving individual (May she rest in peace.) Last time I asked my cousin if he was certain that my mother is not in heaven right now, he answered that he was absolutely certain. I commend my cousin on his faith, but until his time comes to reconnect with his relatives after death, I find it very hard to understand his certaintly that my mother is not in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment